Navigation


RSS : Articles / Comments


A Soft-Centred Tough Guy.

3:01 AM, Posted by Mahy Pallav, No Comment


National Award winner Atul Kulkarni on his latest flick Bumm Bumm Bole
HIS character as C Shriram Abhyan kar, a Brahmin who is part of a Hindu militant group determined to fight the Muslims' malice in Hey Ram cannot be forgotten. Pothya Sawat in Chandni Bar too remains memorable. Both these roles won him the National Award. Atul Kulkarni, the man who has played critically acclaimed roles in films like Rang De Basanti, Mansarovar and Page 3 was born in Karnataka. He has acted in almost all Indian languages. After some rave reviews, Atul Kulkarni, who plays Darsheel Safary and Ziyah Vastani's father Khogiram in Bumm Bumm Bole says, "This is the first time I am working with Priyadarshan, and it is like a dream come true. I often feel that he ed its the film even before the shooting is over (laughs). An actor feels at ease when he is working with Priyadarshan, be cause he does nearly 80 per cent o f a n a c t o r 's job."
Speaking of Darsheel Sa fary he smiles, "Kids these days are very talented. The exposure they get is tremendous. Darsheel Safary is one such boy . At this age, he has got the exposure of working with a great actor like Aamir Khan. Even as I observed him, I went on a flashback mode and compared my childhood with his and wondered whether I had the same maturity. And I rea lised that he knows so much.
I like his innocence," he says.
Atul has been seen in Kollywood flicks like Padikath Aruvadai, Kedi, Manavan, Aruvadai madhan and Run. Elaborating on his experience he says, "During Hey Ram I realised what a great actor and human being Kamal Haasan is. I admire him and am looking forward to doing more projects with him."
What next? "I am doing two films in Hindi called Blackboard and Chalees Chaurasi and a couple of projects in Kannada.
Atul has been also doing theatre since high school. He later joined Natya Aradhana, an amateur theatre group. "I have taken great pride in acting in plays penned by Gulzar, Kharashein. I have especially Kharashein not been able to do justice to theatre for quite some time owing to my film com mitments. I must make a special mention of the characteristics of theatre in Tamil cinema. And I earnestly wish that even Marathi cinema attains that level someday ."
Commenting on the trends in parallel cinema he says that the discrimination hardly exists. "In the last six years, the discrimination has disappeared completely."


No Comment